The NHLCA is proud to partner with CoachThem for our annual NHLCA Global Coaches’ Clinic. Additionally, CoachThem has supported the coaches in our NHLCA Female Coaches Development Program and NHLCA BIPOC Coaches Program by giving complimentary access to their platform.
Founded by former NHL defenseman Mike Weaver and Florida Panthers’ Goalie Coach, Robb Tallas, CoachThem is a web-based coaching platform that allows coaches to easily create, edit and share their drills and practice plans. With zero restrictions to your device or operating system, you can stay organized, collaborate with your friends, and get your coaching staff on the same page, on any device.
NHLCA Drill of the Month
With the start of the 2021-22 NHL season, we have launched a new monthly campaign to share a drill from one of our NHL coaching staffs. The campaign started on October 15, 2021 and runs through the entirety of the regular season and playoffs.
This campaign is part of the NHLCA’s objective of supporting the development of the next generation of NHL coaches.
The Red Wings share a great warm up drill that incorporates backwards skating, one-touch passes ending with a shot.
Team: Detroit Red Wings
Drill Name: Thunder Warm Up
Drill Category: Warm Up
- Drill starts as shown. Opposite lines go at the same time and will mirror one another.
- X1 backskates and gets a pass from X3. X1 then pivots and passes to O1 and gets a pass back. X1 then passes to X4 and gets a pass back.
- X1 then passes to O2 and opens up for a pass at the red line and gets the puck back. Goes down for a shot in the opposite end they started in.
- After X1 and X2 cross the blue line, O1 and O2 step out and go.
The Hurricanes share a competitive, two part warm-up drill that begins with a quick shot and finishes with a 2 vs 2 battle.
Team: Carolina Hurricanes
Drill Name: Carolina 2 vs 2
Drill Category: Warm Up
- Forwards touch pass then shoot on goalie with defence following. Curl around cones and race up ice. Coach will lay a puck out for 2 vs 2 in the zone.
- D and F’s curl around cones and race up ice. Coach will lay a puck out for 2 vs 2 in the zone.
- Play it out. If the defence wins the puck, they have to skate it out of the zone.
© 2021 NHL Coaches’ Association, Inc. The material may not be reproduced or distributed, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the NHLCA. Any other reproduction or distribution, in whatever form and by whatever media, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of the NHLCA. All Rights Reserved.