The NHLCA and our members are committed to giving back to the hockey community through charitable initiatives.
One of the NHL Coaches’ Association’s primary objectives is to help develop all hockey coaches from the youth level up to the highest levels of hockey as we strongly believe that coaches are important leaders within their communities, serving as role models at every level of the game. Together, the NHLCA and our members are committed to supporting all coaches in their initiatives of guiding, motivating, and inspiring players of all ages.
Some of our more recent involvement includes the following initiatives.
The tragic accident that occurred on April 6, 2018 shook not only Humboldt, SK, but the global hockey community and the world. Through the tremendous support of our NHL coaches, within a week of the accident the NHLCA raised $75,000 CAD in donations to support the community of Humboldt. With the additional generosity of Bauer Hockey, Recipe Unlimited, AGT Foods and Ingredients, and Federated Insurance, who jointly committed to match the amount of donations received from our members, we collectively raised $150,000 CAD in an endowment to honor the Humboldt Broncos and their community. We also partnered with the Canadian Junior Hockey League to jointly rename the coach of the year award in recognition of the Head Coach, Darcy Haugan, and his Assistant Coach, Mark Cross, who lost their lives on April 6, 2018. The CJHL award was renamed the “Darcy Haugan / Mark Cross Memorial – CJHL Coach of the Year Award” in 2019.
- May 17, 2022 – Press Release – Rob Pearson Named Darcy Haugan / Mark Cross Memorial Award Recipient as CJHL Coach of the Year
- May 9, 2022 – Press Release – Finalists for the Darcy Haugan/Mark Cross Memorial CJHL Coach of the Year Award Announced
- June 3, 2021 – Press Release – Pier-Alexandre Poulin Named Darcy Haugan/ Mark Cross Memorial Award Recipient as CJHL Coach of the Year
- May 26, 2021 – Press Release – Finalists for Darcy Haugan / Mark Cross Memorial CJHL Coach of the Year Award Announced
- June 8, 2020 – Press Release & Awards Ceremony – Billy McGuigan Accepts Darcy Haugan/Mark Cross Memorial Award as CJHL Coach of the Year
- April 29, 2020 – Press Release – Summerside Western Capitals’ (MHL) Billy McGuigan Named Recipient of the Darcy Haugan.Mark Cross Memorial Award as CJHL Coach of the Year
- June 20, 2019 – Press Release – Terriers’ Spiller Presented Darcy Haugan/Mark Cross Memorial Award in Vancouver
- May 10, 2019 – Press Release – Blake Spiller, Portage Terriers (MJHL) Named 2018-19 Darcy Haugan/Mark Cross Memorial – CJHL/NHLCA Coach of the Year Award Recipient
- May 7, 2019 – Press Release – Finalists for Darcy Haugan / Mark Cross Memorial CJHL Coach of the Year Award Announced
- September 10, 2018 – Press Release – NHL Coaches’ Association Honours Humboldt Broncos with Endowment and Award in Recognition of Broncos’ Coaching Staff
Supporting NHL Team Foundations
Every year, a portion of the proceeds raised from our annual NHLCA Celebrity Golf Classic are donated to the foundation of the NHL team hosting the NHL Draft™. Through our 2017, 2018 and 2019 tournaments, we have been able to support the initiatives of the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, the Dallas Stars Foundation, and the Vancouver Canucks for Kids Fund.
Center for Addiction and Mental Health
In partnership with PwC Toronto, the proceeds raised during a silent auction as part of the 2019 NHLCA PwC Speaker Series, were donated to CAMH to support their efforts around mental health.
Through the #ACFanFlight program, the NHLCA was able to partner with the Air Canada Foundation to support deserving fans who had made a significant impact on their local community.